I made this sauce for supper tonight. It is really good.
The Last Red Enchilada Sauce You'll Need
By Jamie Renee on October 02, 2006
Photo by ~*Miss Diggy*~
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 12-16, Yield: 8 cups
About This Recipe"This is the tastiest red enchilada sauce I have ever had! I could literally just eat it with a spoon. The secret is cocoa powder, do not miss that step! I found it on the Texas Monthly cooking forum. A lot of times I double the recipe since its so good. Serve it over enchiladas, burritos, or grab a straw! Its scrumptious!!"
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add enough of the water to make a thin paste.
- Pour into pan and add rest of water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Use in your favorite enchilada recipe.
- The amounts on the ingredients are very flexible.
- For instance, if I am feeding my kids who do not like"spicy", I will halve the chili powder and double the tomato sauce.