Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Stir Fry and other strange ways to eat Veggies

I am the first to admit my kids are not "normal". They are already well down the path of healthy eating. I am laughing at the meals they are cooking around here.

The other night I did chicken fajitas for supper. I wanted more green in mine so I grilled some with just onions and peppers. This was for them.  While it was cooking I chopped some cabbage zucchini, spinach and who knows what else to go with the peppers onions and chicken. I ended up with almost as big a pot of it as the plain. It was a good thing since MINE got ate! The next day for lunch I doctored up the rest with the same assortment of veggies. It got ate also.

Last night I had the kids chopping onions, okra, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, mushrooms, to make a gumbo type stuff. Again I had a huge pot when they got finished chopping. It cooked down to about 1/2 pot. I had maybe a serving left after we all ate. Meat was some wonderful BBQ chicken 13 yo did.

Today for lunch 11 yo decided to make a stir fry for her, 10 yo and 8 yo grand daughter. They all helped. It had zucchini, onions, mushrooms, okra, cabbage, spinach, broccoli and I'm not sure what else.   She seasoned it with the kitchen cabinet.  I know curry was one of the seasonings she used.   They scarfed it down.

She is making more for supper tonight!!!!  I didn't try any at lunch so I can check it out tonight.

Like I said not normal kids.

We have had grand daughter here a lot and another little girl who is 9.   The 9 yo went home today and she was excited to tell her mom all the foods she ate and LIKED! Cabbage, spinach, okra and I don't know what else she didn't "like", but found out she does.  One thing they beg for is quesidieas which I require to have a healthy helping of chopped spinach in.   They love them!  They will ask for them!  Just add cheddar cheese to a tortilla then a hand full of fresh chopped spinach.  Grill and enjoy.  Personally I want onions and peppers in mine, but not everyone does.  Wonder if mom will even believe her?

Kids think it is fun being creative. I encourage them to experiment. They do know we have to eat our experiments even with they don't taste that great.

No comments: