Wednesday, August 15, 2012

L-Theanine

What is L-Theanine?   Theanine is an amino acid commonly found in tea, and also in the basidiomycete mushroom Boletus badius. Theanine is related to glutamine, and can cross the blood-brain barrier .Because it can enter the brain, theanine has psychoactive properties. Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress, may produce feelings of relaxation and improves cognition and mood when taken in combination with caffeine.
This link has a lot of info. on L-Theanine. http://www.ltheanine.net/

Why am I posting this?   Because a friend suggested some vit. called Relax-a-Saurus, L-Theanine Blend to me for D10.   We have almost completed a 30 day supply taking one of a morning.   Results?   He told me the other day that he doesn't talk as much as he use to.  I agreed!  That is something he sees.  I see a lot more.  I see a 10 yo with normal 10 yo behaviours.  I see a 10 yo who failed a quiz yesterday, because he didn't read his lessons (again).  He had to write the problems he missed, find the right answers then redo not only the quiz but the lessons.  Once it was checked that he found the right answers those were tossed in the trash.  He announced after he had redone everything that he memorized the answers to the quiz and had made a 100.  Not bad for a child that when we got him almost 3 years ago was labeled border line MR.   I see focus where it wasn't before.  I see a calm that wasn't there.  

He does still take magnesium, but I allow him to choose when he needs it.  He takes it every few days.  He ask each morning for his vit. 

He has started cooking dinner.  He is accomplishing it without to many issues.  I supervise and sit on my hands so to speak to make sure nothing burns (to bad) and he doesn't get hurt or catch the house on fire.   He has made taco meat twice now.  He has sliced squash and onions and green chili's and cooked them for the veggies.  It isn't done perfect but it is done eatable.  I see a lot less arguments with everyone.  He is able to act nice with the littles when the littles aren't nice.  He tattles a LOT less than the kid that tattled on the chickens for throwing dirt.   :)  

I really suggest that anyone and everyone do some research on this amino acid.  It has something for everyone.  Not sure if you could get enough of this from green tea or not.   I just know it is one more building block to having a mentally stable 10 yo. 

1 comment:

Monica said...

Hi Nola, thank you for sharing your experience with L-Theanine, it gives me a lot of hope. I realize your post is a year old now, just wanted to know if you are still seeing the same positive effects or have they worn off? I ordered L-Theanine a few days ago and am looking forward to trying it out on my 7 year old ADHD son - severe focus and impulse control issues. Thanks very much! Monica