Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Essencial Oils

My 11 yo is difficult.   Many know that, some see him as cute.  Day in day out it is a battle to get school done.  To get chores done.  He yells and stomps and for a while was throwing his glasses across the room.   I know some of you are struggling to see this behaviour in him.  :)  I have videos.  

About a month ago a friend ask if I had thought of using essential oils.  I had never even knew that oils might help emotional out burst or other issues like ADHD.   I was willing to try.   I would have seriously considered trying anything at that point in life. :)   She gave me a tiny vial of oil.   Told me to try it on his shirt, pillow just a drop.  I used it for a few days and really felt that it was impacting.  Not a huge change but maybe a little.  Enough that I was willing to order a couple of different blends.  

Those that know me know I spend hours reading and researching anything.  I spent the time I was using the oils reading and researching.   So I had decided what oils I wanted to order.  The company that my friend had oils from was doTERRA.  I ordered Serenity and Balance.  I discovered you can buy baking clay at the hobby shop and make pendents.  So I bought some.  We made some.  Kids loved making.  Then we add a drop of oil or a drop of several oils to them.  The kids love doing it.  I started seeing improvement in others.  Or think I am seeing improvement :)   Sixteen yo boy is getting school done earlier in the day.   Today he said he was having trouble focusing.  I know he didn't oil his pendent this morning.  I suggested he try that.  He went and did it.   Seventeen yo is passing more stuff on the first try, including test!   Which is just amazing.   She is also getting done faster. 

A week rocked by, my friend invited me to a class to tell you about them let you smell and hope you will join.  :)  I spent that week researching oil companies and products and quality and lots of other things along those lines.   I liked most of what I read.  I don't like that it is a MLM company, but such is life.   I do like the reviews I found for the oils.  Dh and I talked it over and decided to join.  In joining I went ahead and got a bigger kit and a diffuser. 

Kit came in late last week.  I have shared a lot of little bottles of oil with friends.  I continue to oil 11 yo daily, morning and night.  Funny thing he likes it.  He doesn't fight me on it.  He has a pendent he made, it is a :) which I thought was an interesting choice from my angry young man.   Changes I see are a less intense anger, glasses haven't flown since we started this.  He has been dry 6 out of 7 nights. which is a new record, and an added blessing.  He still wasn't doing his school and it was a battle.  Yesterday I finally decided to see how the diffuser worked.  I put it in the school room near his desk.   I used a mixture of the two blends I have been using on him.   He had LOTS of behind school to do from not doing it last week.  If he doesn't do it he doesn't play.  I was sniffing oils to stay calm and just let him decided how he wanted to work it.  Play or sit until he is 18.  His choice!   For what ever reason, oils maybe, he decided to work.  He did about 5 days school yesterday and this morning and is swimming with the other kids right now.   I wish I could say I know it was the oils.  I don't.  I just know that today he is a joy to be around.   That is not something I get to say very often. 

I do believe oils help.  I have used a blend much like what another company calls Thieves Oil with great success.  That is just buying the cheaper grade oils.   I didn't realize that oils may be cut with other things and not labeled to make them more inexpensive.   If you read the fine print on many blends they are added to olive or coconut oil.   All stuff I didn't know before I started researching.  Some of my kids are really embracing this and reading about oils also.  Some seem to want to run when they see my little wooden box.  

Along with the kit came some other products they carry. One is called Deep Blue for sore muscles.   My 15 yo decided to start running again the other day and her calves were protesting the next day.  I suggested she try it.  She decided to hobble around instead.   Next day she was still hobbling.  Again I suggested, since she likes the smell she tried it.  She assured me it didn't help.  She also used it again that afternoon.  DH is trying their vitamins.  He started Sat. I think.  He doesn't see a difference yet.  I am thinking he may be a little less tired at night.   They have one for headaches that I want my DIL to try.  She lives with a migraine most of the time.   If I remember I will share tomorrow with her. 

I have a list of oils I want to try.  :)   I want to blend some of the oils in a roller ball for 11 yo to roll on as he struggles with issues using the Fractionated Coconut Oil.  Maybe before they blow up.   Even some of the others may want to try the roller ball.  Kids just like the smell of some and so choose to wear them.   The peppermint is very minty.  I read it will keep spiders away.   I know  it will keep rodents away.   I have a child that likes it and wears it on her pendent.   Eleven yo likes the wild orange smell.  It is also a calming scent so when we are oiling up of a morning I give him a drop of it. 

So if anyone wants to try any of the oils I have I will share a tiny bottle.  If you want to buy some I will figure out how to order them.  :)  I have a list going of the oils I want to buy and try as I can afford too.  I want to try some of the oils for cooking.   They say they are wonderful that way also.  

Thoughts? Input? Ideas?   I have enjoyed what I have learned.  I know nothing is a cure all but I also know that every positive thing brings us closer.  I am willing to walk outside the box of "normal".  I am seeing positive from this.