Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Ramble

I started my day slow today. Quite often I have the laundry done by 9 am. It is after 4 pm but I still haven't gotten it all done. I did have to take time out to make laundry soap. Then I had to take time out to clean out my mess from making laundry soap. I did it in the vita-mix again, but zapped it way to fast to start and well think bubbling spring of soap!

Hershey is doing well. Yesterday morning I pulled and DH pushed to get her in to milk. She was NOT going in there. Last night my ds volunteered to help. He started leading her and ..... well lets say he might have met his match in stubborn. She laid down!
Now you can make them fall down even a big cow with a control halter, but he didn't get that chance. She just laid down. He being the clown he is sat down beside her to wait her out. She won. He sought shade. Finally we gave up and came in for a coffee break. Kids came in and told us when she got up. She was NOT getting up until we left!
I herded her to the barn, or close and he helped me do the push pull routine to get her in for milking. While she was totally ticked she never tried to kick. I milked less than 1/2 a gallon and let the calf have the rest.
This morning I got smart. I let Buckets come in and eat. Since she was eating Hershey thought she needed to eat too. :) I just shooed Buckets out and latch her in. I milked over 1/2 a gallon and there was probably more than the calf needed left.
Pups are doing good. They have been turned loose this afternoon from the barn pen. They are begging at the yard gate. I have reminded kids they are not pet me dogs, they are guardian dogs. :) Right! They did discover the pond. If they discover water they check to see how deep and cool it is. So they beg go cool off in the pond and beg some more for attention. No they are not spoiled! Nope, can't be! We watched them enjoy the pond a few minutes ago. They were bouncing in and out and all around. I will try and get pictures some time of them playing.
I made the mistake of letting MN milk Hershey a bit this morning just to show her how easy she is. Now I have a parrot on my shoulder going, "Can I milk Hershey tonight?" She milks goats! I may loose my milking job! :)

1 comment:

Derek said...

Ha! It looks like Stephen is meditating and trying to regain his composure. I had a calf lay down on me once when I tried to lead train him. Never heard of a full grown Momma doing it. Funny.