Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pineapple Vinegar and other strange foods...

I found a recipe a couple of weeks ago for Pineapple vinegar. They say it is a mild vinegar like rice vinegar. Since I just happened to have some Pineapples I decided to try it. It is still fermenting, but I did sneak a little out for a salad Sunday morning. I was impressed. The recipe calls for the skin from 1/2 a pineapple and a little of the flesh in a quart of water with about 1/3 of a cup of brown sugar. Leave it in a sunny window covered with plastic for a week take 1/2 the skin out leave it another week. Then strain it and leave it another week. We are about done with that week. Then just refrigerate and use.

Last time we did produce I ended up with LOTS of broccoli. I wanted to try something new. I shred the broccoli like you would cabbage. The since I didn't have any coleslaw dressing I made some. I used Miracle Whip and some rapadura for sugar then a bit of my new vinegar for zing. It was really good. DH even tried a couple of bites. He said it was OK but he likes his broccoli cooked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good. I'm keeping this one to try with our next pineapple. My youngest daughter loves pineapple - she even asked for it for her birthday!