Friday, November 16, 2012

Thinking Thanksgiving with Recipes

The smell is in the air!   Trash (Checks Mix) is in the oven. 
Trash (Party Mix)

Cheerios
Rice Checks
Wheat Checks
Corn Check
Pretzel
Frito's
Nuts
¼ lb. butter
1 c. bacon drippings
5T.Tabasco sauce
2T. savory salt
1T garlic or powder
5T. Worcester sauce
cook at 250* for 2 ½ hours stir about every 15 or 20 min.
Kids chat back and forth about what they liked best last year.   Everyone has a different favorite.  Some of them have favorites that change depending on the moment.   Today we make trash, or at least the first batch.   I usually do two batches, some how this batch over filled the roasters so I will have some extra to play with.   With two kids on a nut free diet because of braces I may do one without nuts.

D13 votes Grandmothers dip, MN always votes grandmothers dip.  It brings fond memories of my mom.  We usually had dip which is somewhat the rotel/Velveeta dip with changes.  We would have dip for breakfast Thanksgiving morning on bread, toasted in the toaster oven. 
Dip
1 lb ground beef
1 lb sausage
1 onion
1 bx 2# Velveeta cheese
1 can Rotel
Fry meat add finely chopped onion, cheese and rotel. Heat until cheese is melted and mixed well.

My mom use to make this the day before Thanksgiving. Then we would snack on this for breakfast. It is good with chips or spread on bread and toasted. Kids beg for it several times a year.

Here is how I have changed it over the years.

First I double everything. I use 2 lbs of hamburger and 2 of sausage. I like the hot breakfast sausage for it. Then I got lazy and buy a can of nacho cheese instead of the Velveeta. I never buy rotel. That stuff is expensive! I can toss tomatoes, onions and peppers in the vita mix and have the same thing at a fraction of the cost. Besides I can control the hot. We use it as a dip, and pour it on chips for nachos. For Thanksgiving I keep it warm in a crock pot.

Tortilla roll ups are a favorite of many of us.  Those came from my SIL Kay.  She would make them each year, not in the quantity we do, but enough for everyone to enjoy.   This is a food that I was told today the boys do.  :)  Usually, ok every year for the past few it has been a boys job.  First it was MJ with help then with we got the two D's it became their job.  Now it has become their job, while girls do pies. 
Tortilla Roll ups
2 8 oz pks cream cheese
3 Tbs pimento chopped
3 Tbs sour cream
1- 4oz can chopped chilies
1c. diced green pepper or 1or 2 hot peppers
4 T Bacon bits
4 green onions
salt and onion salt
6 big flour tortillas
Pies!  Pies! and even a few more Pies.  Probably my favorite is Chess.  Again from my mom and I am pretty sure from my grandmother.   This is one of those simple old fashion recipes that is good, but not hard to make.  If my niece doesn't come then I will get extra, she and I grew up fighting over who got them most chess pie.
Chess Pie
1 ½ cup sugar
½ cup sweet milk cream
6 egg yolks
3 tablespoons butter
Vanilla
Bake in unbaked pie crust
After Chess is Pecan.  Again, Grandmothers.  I can remember being little and getting to 'measure' that cup of pecans to put in the unbaked shell before she poured the goodies on it.   When I got married my dh didn't like pecans but loved the filling.  Like a good MIL she adjusted the recipe and always made one pecan less one.  So you can take the same recipe and do it without pecans and it is still good.   Something I didn't know was corn syrup doesn't have the high fructose in it.   Or so it says on the bottle.
Pecan Pie
4 eggs
2/3 c. syrup (light Karo)
1c. pecans
Makes one pie.
For those that like coconut pie or just coconut in general I do make a coconut pie.   I am not a fan if you haven't figured it out.  Everyone says it is good. 
Grandmothers Coconut Pie
4 eggs, beaten
½ c. self rising flour
(1/2 self-rising flour equals:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
¾ teaspoons baking powder, plus
1/8 teaspoons salt.)
1 ½ c. sugar
½ stick butter, melted
2 c. milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
6-7 oz coconut
mix all in order given. Pour in 9 inch pie pan bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes or until done in center.
I do pumpkin, but since I don't have a recipe I won't include it.  I do use fresh or frozen pumpkin.  This year it is fresh frozen from the garden.   I toss it in the vita mix, add some cream some sugar, some cinnamon, ok a LOT of cinnamon and some eggs.   Blend until smooth and fill pie shells until I run out out.  Last year I had some left over pecans so I made a pumpkin pecan pie.  I just added pecans to the pumpkin pie filling.  It has been requested this year. 

We do cheat and do apple and cherry out of a can.  Just home made whole wheat crust.   Usually we do 2 of each with an extra here or there as we feel led.   There is no perfect number. 

We do a bowl of fruit salad.  I do cheat and add fruit cocktail.  I use a gallon of the regular and a gallon of the tropical.   We then add a 1/2 gallon of maraschino cherries.  That is the base!  Well not a full half gallon since we cut them in half and a percent gets ate.   To that we add oranges, apples, bananas until the bowl is full.   Think somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 gallons of fruit salad mix.  Strange as it sounds usually this is one of the first things we run out of. 

Dressing I am behind on this year.  I do need some extra biscuits made and NOT ate.  We make, we eat and none or very few go in the freezer.   Maybe Sunday morning we can do a double batch and Monday morning and then will have enough to finish off the dressing.   I will crumble that on Tue.  Add my seasonings and let it soak them up.  Lots of sage!   Then Thursday morning I will add the eggs, onions, celery, and broth to make the dressing put it in the oven and PRAY it gets done.  Some years.... well we try.  

Giblet gravy is another favorite that is my moms.  I really don't know if any one else does it like she did and now me.  I make a white gravy.  Then at the last minute I add gibbles, cooked and ready and sliced boiled eggs.   Why do I do this?  Because Grandmother did!  It is good!  Don't knock it until you have tried it.  Some years it gets thick some years.......  It seems to always get ate! 

This year we are doing 4 turkeys.  I bought a new fryer, it is oil less.     You grease your turkey and put it in the basket, cook about as long as you do fried turkeys.   Taste amazing!   It has a drip pan in the bottom, I will use the dripping for gravy and dressing.  I will let you know how it works out.   Then we will do a spiral sliced honey glazed ham for those that do pork. 

We finish off our cooking with a pan of sweet potatoes topped with all the sweet yucky stuff like sugar and marshmallows.  It also has cinnamon and butter.  Then the other pan that is just sweet potatoes and butter.  

Anyone want to come?   Some how I think there will be plenty!  Come join us!  It is fun!   We are so blessed.  Come join us as we celebrate our Thanksgiving!


 

No comments: