Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Project




My plate wasn't full enough. I almost never am attracted to "free" dogs at the flea market. This Sat. I was. I finally broke. This is a sheltie. He was timid up there but owner "assured" me it was the crowd. Wrong. This dog has had NO socialization with humans. Wasn't leash trained.... you name it. Upside he hasn't ever snapped. He is beautiful and smart.

MN decided he was going to be her dog. She has spent HOURS working with him and just hanging out with him. Timing was really good since we loaded her "buddies" on the trailer Sunday afternoon for the sale. She needed some thing to hang with, that wasn't human, didn't talk back and was enjoyable to be around.

Dog, who got named Bugger Bear is leading for MN wonderfully. She can catch him without to much work if he isn't on the leash. He eats out of a bowl with her right next to the bowl. He has even started eating out of her hand. Not mine, I offered him a piece of flat bread earlier and he sniffed but didn't take.

It really is good for MN. She was fussing about how much she wished he would just trust her. I couldn't resist. I ask her how long it took her to trust me? She got the connection! She said a long time. There are so many correlations between an abused dog and an abused child. :) This pup seems to be doing good at learning to at least sorta trust MN.

He is calm and spends most of his time asleep under her feet as she does school or on a rug some where in the living room until she comes to get him for a potty walk. He is allowing everyone to touch most of the time without flinching. We can all walk around now with him sleeping stretched out instead of in watch mode.

As I have said before life is never dull around here.

No comments: