Monday, January 11, 2010

So How is your day going?............

Here is a snap shot of my day....

Laugh of the day! B tattled on the CHICKENS in the barn because they were causing the dust to fly. He gets in trouble for this so............... He sat out to get the chickens in trouble. Found himself setting and thinking a while.

Today I was really struggling to keep from laughing quit often as he demanded this or that. As we were all doing breakfast he demanded granola. You have to understand I was standing there with the granola and bowls working on getting both he and I some. After about the third demand for granola with milk I poured his bowl back in the jar and explained he would have to find someone else help him with breakfast. I wasn't his servant. He stomped off. Life goes on around here. He came back in a few minutes with the, "I'm sorry mom. Would you get me granola." "Nope, I was trying and you couldn't wait. Feel free to ask T to fix you an egg or have fruit or dry granola." He then went and ask T to cook him eggs. She was cooking her some. She made him go get his eggs, plates etc. He did all of it.


B didn't want to do school. Not a problem, here come set by me. Stomping, not a problem you can have shoes tomorrow. He decided he WANTED to do school. His "place" is across the bar from me. I put his math page there. "IT"S HARD!", scoop math sheet up, not a problem! Don't want to tax his brain. He had to come set back by me. Kid begged me to do school. Finally I relent, he had the "I won" look on his face. Sure enough he didn't work. So back to his "chair". Finally I got busy on life. Laundry etc. While he begged for school work. I was nice and kept apologizing for having other work to do. I would be glad for him to do his school later, but I had used up the time I had allotted him. Every try to whine over a vita-mix and kitchen aid mixer?
He seemed to have a problem being heard.

Next tactic was, "I'm hungry!" So when I came to a stopping spot I fixed him a bowl of the left over soup from the other day. No crackers, no cheese all of which he pouted and ask for. I sat a timer and he had x amount of time to eat. He got mad shoved the food across the table and was quite done with lunch. He again had to sit. When he had the chance to do school he finished his math without a problem. I gave him 10 minutes to play. He blew that and is gain setting.

I am so reminded of the control issues of MN. I ask her if she was looking in the mirror. She said she was. Is this child RAD? I'm not sure, but I sure see serious attachment/control issues. I do find it funny in I don't think of my self as a control freak, but I find I really don't share control with small children well at all. I can look at it most of the time as a game and keep my sense of humor.

Will I relent and let him do school later? I have no clue. As long as we have the stinking attitude not likely. He isn't being sat in a cornor, but within about 2 feet of me. He is visiting with me and talking and chattering off and on. I calmly discuss choices and how sad I am for the ones he has made. I do point out that he can make better choices and have different outcome. It is all his choice. As of now I'm not interested in him doing school. All the other kids made a CHOICE to do theirs earlier. All but TD is done. He has had to redo some in science. Surprise he did it willingly. :) He is over all making wonderful grades.

We have hamburger buns made for supper. We have lunch behind us. I am ready for a nap. Wonder why I go to bed tired?

Hope every one's day is progressing at a calmer easier pace than mine.

Today I was really struggling to keep from laughing quit often as he demanded this or that. As we were all doing breakfast he demanded granola. You have to understand I was standing there with the granola and bowls working on getting both he and I some. After about the third demand for granola with milk I poured his bowl back in the jar and explained he would have to find someone else help him with breakfast. I wasn't his servant. He stomped off. Life goes on around here. (He has done a whole page of math so for). He came back in a few minutes with the, "I'm sorry mom. Would you get me granola." "Nope, I was trying and you couldn't wait. Feel free to ask T to fix you an egg or have fruit or dry granola." He then went and ask T to cook him eggs. She was cooking her some. She made him go get his eggs, plates etc. He did all of it.

Doesn't this sound like control to all of you "experts". He is happily doing math. I really don't care if he does it today or not. This is the first subject. He has several others to do before he can get a brownie. MN made some yummy brownies and I have given each child one as they finish school for the day. They are talking popcorn later. They are all so sad and share that sadness with B as they come by. They are all more than willing to wish he had made different choices out loud.

1 comment:

teresaH said...

I laugh when I read your blog. Your day sounds so much like mine. I too have a very defiant adoptive child. Your calm way of handling the issues encourages me. Calm is not my strong point. Many times I glean little tidbits of advise from what you write. Thanks for sharing your life with us.