Friday, November 12, 2010

Prayerfully Seeking God’s Direction

Today as I read about the issues with Amazon and an E-book my heart is heavy. Not so much at Amazon, but at the knee jerk reaction of people. While I don't even like the thought of the book and possible content. I do find it amazing that on Veterans Day, a day we remember the men and women who fought and died for our freedom, people are mad because they don't like the content of that freedom.

I heard a teaching not long ago about how the news media tells us what to think. I think this is an example. Has anyone personally talked to anyone at Amazon? I wonder how long and hard it would be to pull something "correctly" so that they aren't bombarded with lawsuits? Do they have a policy of what is "acceptable" to sell on Amazon? Where is the line? How does "Free Speech" work in this situation? How many people that are boycotting Amazon first sought God's direction? Every way of a man is right In his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the hearts. Proverbs 21:2 Are we really seeking what God wants or joining in on a bandwagon that is driven by desires we don't understand. I have no problem boycotting anything that God convicts me to. I will support you boycotting anything God convicts you too. I may not agree but I respect your right as an American to make that choice. I think many of us which the Bible refers to as sheep are listening to the wrong voice. We are following the wrong Shepherd. Daily we are bombarded with the media. We listen to it on our radio, or TV, our internet and see it as we drive and shop. The media tells us who to like, who to vote for, who is good and who is bad, what to wear, what is OK. The media tells us we aren't smart enough to listen to a speech or seek answers from a business without them to "interpret " what was said. We have an Interpreter, a Helper, who is much more knowledgeable and wise than the media. "But the Helper, the Holy
Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
John 14:26 As we listen to the Holy Spirit and seek His direction then act we are obeying God. God called us to be set apart, a peculiar people. For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that [are] upon the earth. Deut 14:2

Please understand I am NOT for this book being available. I wish we didn't have adults who prey on children. I understand the cold truth of just how real this threat is. I just question the role of the media. I wonder what the chances of this whole incident being a ploy from someone either to hurt Amazon or exploit a problem with Amazon for some self gain.

A part of me wishes that the people who bought this eBook would be tagged and followed and prosecuted. Then I think of the countries where this tactic happens. I wouldn't want to live in those places. I AM proud to be an American! I am proud of our freedoms! Paul Harvey said many times, "Self government won't work without self discipline."

Please understand I am not saying don't boycott Amazon. Just make sure the right Helper has convicted you to.

2 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

Well Said, Nola. You expressed my thoughts on this matter. I even went so far as to wonder if reading this book would help parents keep their children safe? (But I decided I would not support THAT idea with purchasing a book!)

Another thought is, as 'big' as Government is getting, those who buy this book from Amazon might be traced and "uncovered", whereas they may have been uncaught in the past.

Anonymous said...

I also agree with what you have said, and think it is a personal choice esp. after much prayer.There are many movies/items wal-mart sells that I personally don't agree with, but I don't stop shopping there, same for amazon and so on- it is a personal choice, and one that God does place on each person's heart, if needed.I think over thinking such things just gives the victory to the devil,instead of giving the glory to God- whom all such matters shoud be placed, at his feet.