Saturday, June 13, 2009

Driven In by the HEAT!

Yesterday we worked in the garage until 11AM. Then the heat just got to be to much. We were about 105 give or take a degree or two yesterday. Today is suppose to be the same. Today I only lasted until about 10:30 before I gave it up.


I have two girls that have lost their mind. They decided to go with dad today. He is at a farm equipment auction. I would have loved to have went, but I wanted the garage cleaned. This sale is about 2 hours east of us where they have had thunderstorms the last two nights. The temps there should be about the same as ours, 100+. There are NO trees or shade! He explained that they would be staying WITH him. No playing no running around etc. They still went! The other two think they are crazy! I think they have GO fever. They are like the dogs that hear the ranger start and run jump in. They don't care where they are going just so they get to go.


While the other two are going to go swim soon then MN said she is going to do Monday and Tue. school so she can go to her volunteer job on Tue. She has started helping at a therapeutic riding place. She went last week and loved it. She will get to walk and lead horses or walk beside kids and stabilize them as they ride. Then she gets to brush horses and pet them. Heaven to her! But, she has to have school done for Tue. or she has to stay home. She is taking NO chances on life happening and her not getting to go. I like her thinking ahead!


I am really enjoying the book I bought Thursday night. The title is Three Little Words: A Memoir by Ashley Rhodes-Courter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416948074/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1416948066&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08Q1P5XS6F5R61FP4ZVC I would recommend anyone that wonders how the life a foster child differs from a child that has a family is. It isn't a hard read or terribly graphic, but it is very real. You will walk away with a much deeper understanding of what it IS to be a foster child.


Since I am talking about foster and adoption here are some statistics for everyone to think about:

Of all youth aging out of the foster care system, national statistics indicate:
56% are unemployed and face poverty within two to four years
They represent 70% of all homeless youth,
They constitute 88% of incarcerated youth and young adults,
40% receive welfare within two to four years,
40% do not graduate from high school, and
60% of teenage girls will have a baby within two years.
-Adopt America Network


So when some one mentions adoption support them! Help them in anyway you can! It really does change lives!


I know I have talked before about the trash sack luggage foster kids have. In this book that is something she talks about, each move all her worldly possessions were stuffed in trash bags. Or quite often not all, but what ever the foster family could find or wanted to send with her as she moved. So when you have luggage that you don't want, donate it! It might make a kid feel less like trash!


I see my older daughters in this story. Both of them in different ways. S more holding on to the dream that mommy really will get it together and come rescue me. Mn more in the if I push them away first then I am in control and I get to leave BEFORE I attach.
Now to go finish my book and avoid the heat the rest of the day!

No comments: