Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thought for Today and Morning Excitment

The greatest happiness of my life is
that I am loved by the Lord Jesus and
can fellowship with Him every day.
Now on to the morning excitement. MN went to check the black berries to see if they were ripe. Instead she found a 3 ft rattlesnake. I don't think she ever found out if the were ripe. She came back and told me very calmly, "Mom, we have a rattlesnake by the pump house."
I have to say it is really nice always carrying. I didn't have to go find a gun, find ammo etc. I just got up and off I went to fill the area with lead. Our big tom cat was watching him. Snake was singing to the cat. I shooed the cat away and started shooting. I was about 4 ft from it. I know they can jump over half their length if they want. I want to be out of that range at ALL times. I don't know how many times I hit him. I counted at least 5 holes after the fact. I had him very disabled, but hadn't gotten a head shot. To me a rattlesnake isn't dead until the head is smashed totally. So I did the grandmother thing. "Get me a HOE." A few blows with the hoe and I carried him out of the garden with it.
After we all checked it out and I talked about the fact if they poked themselves with a fang, even from a dead snake they would be "bit" I took it out in the drive way and left it. I figure when my older son stumbles this direction later he will be wide awake by the time he gets to the house. :)
The bummer is I shot half the rattles off :( I didn't bother to save the two or three left attached.
This is three days in a row I have used my "toy". Two nights ago we were setting on the porch after dark and along comes this very long bushy tailed black and white kitty just on the ground from us. Less than 5 feet away. He was very undisturbed by us setting there. I on the other hand practiced my fast draw, well it wasn't very fast but it was smooth in I didn't forget to take it off safety or put a round in the chamber. I was glad someone didn't have to run for the gun, unlock the case, unlock the ammo case, come back and shoot the stinking thing. My yard/front porch smelled rather strong for a couple of days.
Yesterday morning we had a big turtle coming out of the pond. For those that like turtles you haven't watched them pull baby ducks down and drown them. I like ducks MUCH better so they are fair game around here. I ask T if she wanted to play with a turtle? She took the dogs out there and they all played for a bit. Then I went out and made sure it won't be back in my pond.
Life in the country is never dull!

1 comment:

Julie Zesch said...

Sounds like a fun, few days.
Blessings,
Julie