Monday, June 29, 2009

It'a Monday!

My Monday started early, about 5. My son is hauling a load of sheep to UT. He talked his wife into going with him. I get to baby sit!!!!! :) So we switched kids. They took MN to town with them at a few minutes after 5 to help her other brother sort his buying over the weekend. While I spent the early morning with my grandson... alone since all the others were still napping. This is God getting me back in the swing of things for when we get the 5! It was a wonderful time. I read my Bible to him as he played and sat with me.

I had two learning experiences I want to share. Soap making and roasting green chilies. I discovered how to make soap easier. I have my zote grated already. So I divided it into thirds. I added this to my vita mix, then added enough hot water to have it about 1/2 full. Once the zote was blended well with the vita mix still running I added 1/3 cup of soda and borax. Then dumped it in my 5 gallon bucket. I used my sprayer to rinse the vita mix out and repeated it until I had done it three times. Then I rinsed and used the sprayer to finish filling the 5 gallon bucket. If anything it is mixed better and thicker than it usually is.

Last night I picked several green chilies. I am out of frozen green chilies. So I put them in my cast iron skillets. I had just enough to cover the bottom in two of them. Then I put them in the oven on broil. Soon the whole house smelled wonderfully like roasted chili. After they were well roasted with me stirring along I put them in a covered sauce pan to hold the heat in and sweat them. They look just like the ones you buy! I can freeze them in zip locks for what ever. I had one this morning in eggs!

I have another sick child today! He made it down at 8 am, in night clothes. We went to the barn did chores, made a loop on the back side in the ranger and came back. He came back down stairs with shoes in hand. Doesn't understand why he is "sick". He tried everything to make be believe he was ready earlier. NOT! He even tried to tell me he was reading the chore list..... it had to be last weeks since I hadn't printed this weeks yet. Which was nice I just took him and MN off the list for today, and they get a LOT more tomorrow while the other two have almost none tomorrow.

Plans for today aren't very solid. We were going to get wheat from a friend but that got changed until tomorrow. MJ should count his blessings that it got changed. He wouldn't have been happy in PJ's on a friends couch! Yes, I would do that.

My baby chicks aren't doing to well. They were just to long in shipping. We have lost 13. I called and they are shipping 1/2 as many again. I would rather of not lost any. I hope these don't take as long since it is a holiday weekend! I have discovered that T loves the chicks. She spends lots of time watching them.

Off to see what I can do besides laundry. That is 1/2 done for today already!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

geez.. my timing is impeccable...
I made soap yesterday (on the stove)
and read your blog today about doing it in the vitamix.
NEXT TIME I'll know!

Love ya!