Friday, October 17, 2008

Dog Prayers

Yesterday afternoon as we were getting ready for our trip to town I heard Sam barking. At least I thought I heard him. He has been missing for several days. Older son was just walking up so I motioned for him to follow me. Off we went. Sure enough we found him not to far from the house under a bush. He had been hung up in a fence for a LONG time. One back leg I knew at a glance was gone. The other one isn't broke, but his hip on that side may be messed up. Sam is the dog in the chair.

Son and I discussed how to move him without hurting him more. He is quivering in pain, yet let me examine him and never even growled or whimpered. We decide to son will go for the Ranger and the bute (large animal pain killer). I just set and pray and pet him and try to figure out how to get him out from under this bush. Son comes back with his BIL and we give Sam some bute, it is a paste. Then they are off to find a stretcher to easy him onto.

They come back with a piece of 1/4 inch steal that will just slide in the back of the ranger. Again God provided as they cleaned the ranger bed out day before yesterday.

We ease the steal under Sam and I hold his collar as they slide it in the Ranger. Then I crawl in with him. You feel every bump as you know he is feeling them to the car. We slide him into the excursion and son takes off for the vet.

I have to take off for our CPS visit the other direction. I do take time to send out and SOS of prayer to as many people as I can quickly do.

I am waiting on the vet to call this morning to know if he made it through the night. If he has to much damage in the other hip to save him. When son left last night after the vet had filled him with pain killers and meds for infection he was standing. That is a good sign, but so far the vet hasn't called yet.

I hate waiting! I am a doer. I want to at least pretend I am doing something. I am doing all I can I am praying and have everyone I know praying. I know that is what I am to do. I just wish the vet would call! I then need to milk and go get produce. We are planning on leaving for camping sometime after lunch.

No comments: