Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Life Lesson of Giving

Yesterday we "skipped" school. I think what each child learned yesterday will take them a lot further than not missing that day of school. The talk and the thought put into giving the goat. The understanding that the money raised will go to help those that need help. Not just kids, but people hurt and in need of physical therapy. While they don't really "get it". They saw many people giving from their heart yesterday to help a good cause.

When they started the Rehab auction on a cake J nearly fell over. They started it at $50 and it went up from there! As she watched cakes, pies and cookies sell for $50 to over $100 each she was in shock. I looked at her and said W. Texans have giving hearts. She nodded. One cake sold 5 times. They would sell it for about $100 then the new owner would say "Sell it again!" I don't think they fully grasp how much money was made for Rehab during that 30-45 minutes. My son said about $6000.

Each child saw giving at its best. Each child saw and felt the respect and the feelings of good that come from sharing what you have. They were touched in ways that they will carry with them the rest of their lives I hope.

They came home talking about all they saw. I pray this was a life lesson that will help each of them develop a giving heart. I am sure they will have a soft spot for rehab their whole life now. My soft spot came from growing up watching the Rehab telethon with Rex Allen and other stars. Calling in our pledge and feeling apart. My older boys did the same. Then as they started with livestock they started donating a goat or sheep to them like this. What a wonderful tradition it is.

No comments: