Sunday, November 2, 2008

Meet Rosie


Yep, we did it. We got a new mountain cur puppy. She is 13 weeks old. Very socialized. I was much impressed with mama and daddy too. They are working dogs, not lap dogs. They are hog dogs. That takes grit and fight. Yet they were not aggressive to us. They were in their pens, but they weren't hanging on the fence trying to rip arms off. Her 1/2 sister sat and begged to come play. She is almost a year old so they are friendly.
We got home late yesterday evening. Kids played until dark with her. Then I had a kid out side at daylight playing some more. Last night Rosie treed a cat. Oh the barking! This morning cat educated her. Yep, right on the soft leathery part of her nose. They will come to an understanding of what cats are allowed in the yard and stray cats are fair game.
I am trying hard to let her be a the kids dog. Meaning I don't mess with her much. I don't seek her out to pet. This morning I sat down on the steps with my coffee. She really wanted to share. I loved on her kids loved on her. Then one of the other dogs came up the steps. Grrrrrrrr came the rumble from deep in her throat. Hummm this dog wasn't quite sure what to do. He just stopped and looked at her. Then got distracted back into the yard. A little later my dog RC came up behind me. Again Grrrrrrrrrrr only louder since RC wasn't impressed. Teeth and curled lip next. RC still wasn't impressed. I am trying hard not to laugh as I pet RC on one side and Rosie on the other. She finally turned totally facing him and I seriously think had plans to jump his bones over the top of me. I scolded her and made her stop. I think she is going to be protective, which is what I want. Just have to find the balance of obeying and protecting.
Something I find interesting is yesterday MN was checking to see if she had the bump on top of her head like Sam. His was very noticeable. Why he had it I don't know. She had a tiny one you could sorta feel it. This morning I was petting her and Wow! the bump is there! I know that sounds strange. I showed MN and she agreed it wasn't like that yesterday. I hope this helps MN bond to her more. Of all the kids she is the one standing off the most on accepting a new puppy. She had the hardest time loosing Sam too.
When you read her good bye to Sam and understand this child didn't know how to love 3 years ago it helps you understand how she has grown and changed and how the attachment to Sam was so important and healing to her emotional health. Now she has the ability to love and attach. She just isn't sure she wants to right now. I so totally get that. Loosing a pet is hard. Loving another pet is an act of faith.

No comments: